NO FRIENDS: HOW TO OVERCOME LACK OF A NETWORK, PRIVILEGE AND FINANCIAL BACKING
"Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase” - Martin Luther King Jr. Truthfully we live in a world where relationships carry weight, money is king and who you know can be the difference from making it or struggling to fake it.
Privilege is as much a part of society as Aloha is to Hawaii, football is to the U.S. and soccer is to Brazil. You don’t have to look far beyond our political leaders and corporate board rooms to understand that some people get immunity for their indiscretions, others gain special advantages, and some are granted rightful passage before their resume supports the stature.
While this may be a sad fact of life, there have always been exceptions to the rule, and those exceptions have always implemented specific strategies to overcome the obstacles they faced.
A great man Glenn Buckhalter once told me, “You will either live the life you choose and celebrate those choices or live the life circumstances give you." I like to add to that a bit and say, "You will either live the life you choose and celebrate those choices or live the life circumstances give you... and never experience all that your life has to offer you."
You see you have a very good reason to stay in your current situation. Life is tough; it can be oppressive, relentless in its attack, lacking in all empathy and understanding.
But how can we take what we have, adapt, re-program, re-learn a new way and win? If you choose to stay in the same mindset, taking the same actions absolutely nothing will change. I will provide five keys to changing one’s perspective, which will absolutely change the one’s future.
- No Friends - Develop a plan. Develop a list of steps you will need to take to achieve what it is you desire. The desired result could be losing weight. The steps you might take would include exercising 20 minutes a day, eating more leafy greens, increasing your water intake and getting proper rest.
- No Friends - Develop a positive daily routine. The daily routine is what you MUST do daily in order to achieve your desired result. Example: I will prepare all my meals in the morning. I will walk everyday at noon. I will go to bed no later than 11pm.
- No Friends - Be determined. Be solid in your decision to take action on what you want. Don’t quit, don’t let others talk you out of it. Be steadfast in your GOAL, daily routine and belief you have what it takes to accomplish what you want.
- No Friends - Ignore the critics. Critics are those close to you, those who have an opinion to deter you, those that hate to see your progress or those that have a better option but are unwilling to walk you through that alternative option. The only person that knows what you have inside you is YOU and the most high God. If people are unwilling to support you in your POSITIVE endeavors they are probably unqualified to give you input.
- No Friends - Believe that you can create what it is you desire. Belief is the key…If you don’t believe it is highly unlikely that anyone else will. Believe that you have what it takes.
“Whether you think you can or think you can’t you're right” - Henry Ford
Get Your Mind Right - Take Mindset and Health Assessment Quiz